We are literally and figuratively wrapping things up here in Sweden. We fly out next Thursday for the new world, as somebody else put it. The end has taken so long yet come so fast. Mon's last official week of work was last week. She has a week of vacation this week and we're starting to pack. The slow parade of good-byes has started. Again.
Said good-bye to our car last night. Man, this is a tough market to sell a used car. People want to pay little and expect a new Volvo when they show up. In the essence of time we let our Renault go for a measly amount of money, to the 4th buyer who looked at it, for less than half of what we paid for it. Unbelievable. It is what it is, a buyer's market. We're hoping to reap a little benefit from that when we head back, getting the best deals we can on housing and vehicle(s). We hope the nice Syrian family enjoys our car. It's been good to us.
People keep asking how we are feeling about moving. More thoughts on this in a later post. For now I'll say I'm not good at articulating good-byes. The thoughts and feelings are usually squeezed in between tasks for getting ready to go. It's usually after we get somewhere else that the reflection begins. For now they are padded in bubble wrap and tucked away in a blue Swedish prepaid postal shipping box.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I can only imagine the thoughts and feelings going through you right now....it surely can't be easy either way....as I was sitting in church this morning....I got to thinking...and I realized that this time next week...you will all be back....and even if you don't make it to Grace...just knowing you are all so close will be a wonderful thing!!
remember that scene in the original 'around the world in 80 days' when they are crossing the ocean in a wooden steam boat and they have to burn everything non-essential just to stay in the race? somehow it feels a little bit like that. if it is non-essential, it's gone.
funny what a filter an international move can be.
one thing at a time. one thing at a time.
Post a Comment