Tuesday, April 07, 2009

dark milk, dark hour

This is probably old news but we never got around to posting it. Last Saturday night in March the World Wildlife Fund people were encouraging everybody to turn off their lights from 8:30p - 9:30p (20:30 - 21:30) to remind world leaders about the global climate crisis. We were reminded of this event every time we opened our fridge because the milk company turned our liters of milk black for the cause. There's an on/off switch at the bottom of the box. The reminder was effective because we actually remembered to turn the lights off. Could be the black carton sitting on our table every morning at breakfast or each time we had coffee to drink. We lit candles and watched America's Funniest Home Videos - our Saturday night ritual. Boys also had fun brushing their teeth by candle light. I wonder if the over all campaign to get people to curb their power usage was as equally effective as the reminder of those ugly black milk boxes.

6 comments:

Westside News said...

Somehow watching TV during the dark hour just seems to miss the point. I can't complain, though. We didn't turn off our lights here. Maybe we should've had black milk cartons too.

rednk-n-eurp said...

You know, I sought clarity all week whether we could watch AFV with a clear conscience in the dark and no where did we see anything other than turn off the lights. Maybe the organizers were afraid to ask it of people.

Number Three of Eight said...

I didn't participate although I heard about it. I was completely without power for 4 days last fall. no fun.

It only got a bit of air time here.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the whole point of it was that everything was supposed to be turned off (not just the lights). :P

Kurt said...

A co-worker of mine went around and turned on every light and appliance in his house at 8:30pm to teach his kids to counteract those who are trying to counteract global warming.

rednk-n-eurp said...

And who is it you work for Kurt? You should be so proud.