Tuesday, April 07, 2009

familjen runsten

Back in the days of the Vikings people would erect runestones (runsten in Swedish) to remember. Sometimes these stones were erected to honor a fallen kinsman. Sometimes they were erected just to tell a story. Sometimes they were erected to remember a significant event.


After the troll post back in the fall, Aunt Margaret suggested we make our own trolls and leave them in the forest. We thought that was a great idea. To complete it, it only seemed appropriate to create a family runestone to remember our time here in Sweden. We are coming down to T minus 7 weeks and counting for our departure back to the States. Hard to believe. Needless to say we are starting what feels like a bit of a good-bye waltz.

On our runsten are several things we have done together as a family while here. It's also covered with symbols for certain things. Some of it is personal but I will say there is a symbol for everybody in the Fendrich family, for Orion and the moon - the black Swedish winter sky. The moon also doubles as one of mormor's pancakes. :) I don't know if anyone will remember our family being here but I think our stone is more so we will remember.

If you want to learn more about runestones click on 'familjen runsten' above or click here for more pictures on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/runsten/

1 comment:

Number Three of Eight said...

That's so cool...it will be something for Jake and Sam to look for when they go back to visit...a great memorial. Maybe they could show me if I ever get over.

I don't remember making the suggestion but I sure remember liking the post and want to do it myself.

the stone looks neat.
Margaret