In Sweden we celebrate fat Tuesday (or mardi gras) with "semla". Not that many people in Sweden observe lent, but the tradition of the semla still lingers on. Any excuse to eat something with lots of whipped cream on it, I guess. Some eat these sweet rolls with milk (poured over them) or you can eat them as they are. They are really good and if you are stocking up on calories before lent, this would do it.
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
mardi gras
In Sweden we celebrate fat Tuesday (or mardi gras) with "semla". Not that many people in Sweden observe lent, but the tradition of the semla still lingers on. Any excuse to eat something with lots of whipped cream on it, I guess. Some eat these sweet rolls with milk (poured over them) or you can eat them as they are. They are really good and if you are stocking up on calories before lent, this would do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Monika!
You are always up to date in your blog what regards Swedish traditions, events etc.! I've eaten about 3 semla in the last couple of weeks - or at least half of a semla (they are so huge...). The Swedish seem to be crazy about semla - "de är så himmla goda" - but I haven't met any foreigners so far who share this enthusiasm (myself included).
I hope you guys are well! Best wishes, Roswitha
I like semlor but it has been years since I have eaten one (there are no semlor in USA). A few years ago I made some at home but they were not nearly as yummy as the fresh ones from a bakery.
Monika
I've worked in different parts of the States and every region seems to have their own pastry, fancy bread or roll for the Lenten period depending on the culture/national origion of the area. It's an amazing phenomenon that we didn't experience in the conservative Scottish/Irish Elliott household. Mom like to prepare for the season by cutting stems from early flowering shrubs and bringing them into the house to force them to bloom early. That's my fond memory of this season.
Post a Comment