Tuesday, October 07, 2008

day out with dad

Jakob had a day off from school so he and I made plans for some fun. Problem was we had a ship wreck of a planning session of our own. We wanted to go to the Natural History Museum but it was not open on Mondays during the non-tourist season. After a quick phone call to see what was open we decided to go see a ship wreck instead, the Vasa.

Some may remember the Vasa from when my friend Paul was in town. Jake took this picture of a modern Viking ship.

This is a model of the Vasa. Jake and I did the 45 minute tour, including a 15 minute movie on the recovery of the Vasa. Jake was engaged the whole time, but was ready to go when I asked him.

Under the stern. The original was eroded by the current and was reconstructed from plans.

I think my brother Dwight would like this museum. You walk in and it smells like a wood shop and eurethane. Woodshop + ships. Man, doesn't get better.

Jake picked out a Vasa snowglobe and shared it at show & tell. Nobody else got to shake it though. He said most the kids hadn't heard of the Vasa. Maybe the formal introduction is a little later in life on a day when the other museums are closed.

More pictures of the Vasa and Walrus here: http://johnikainsweden.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-am-walrus.html

3 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Yeah, one on one time! What fun!

Number Three of Eight said...

JWE would be proud of you!
How come Sam didn't get the day off?
Margaret

rednk-n-eurp said...

JWE? Is this a Jim post? Some of the pictures of Jake have a hint of Jim's camera work. I was hoping nobody else saw it.

Doh!