Monday, September 18, 2006

carried along

We were at church yesterday and were talking with an older couple about our move to Sweden. They seemed kind of startled or saddened by it. We haven't officially announced it to the body as a whole. I hope we didn't confuse them. But them being sad made me feel kind of sad. For one, I was touched that they'd miss us. I know the gentleman was a friend of my Dad's. Without intending to, we probably provide some connection to their own personal history in their older years. They, mine too. But standing there, one other reality hit me. It's quite possible that once we leave, we may never see one or both of them again.
I can't tell you why this is happening. On paper, depending how you look at it, it just may not make sense. Giving up our worldly security and possessions that we've fought hard for, putting on hold the relations we've been connected to and in some cases reconnected to. All for this move.
Yet I see a bigger force at work. I read the blog so far and it's about me and us and our little lives' details and yes there are details to sort through. But this move seemed to have originated from something much bigger than me, than us. As far as I can tell, admittedly my scope is small, it seems to have originated sometime back when I first met my wife in campus ministry at a Bible study in 1993. I remember praying around that time, and I had for some time, that God would put the right girl in my life, one that could handle me, put up with me and yet have Him at the center of her life. One who was humble and strong, yet who's beauty came from within, not only the outside. I remember specifically praying that even if this special girl was from the other side of the world, that God would somehow bring us together. (**tearing up as I write**)
Here we are nearly 13 years later. Hard to believe. This nudge, this tug to go to Sweden has been there like a good book you can't be satisfied with until you've finished the last page, and then it becomes part of who you are. Sweden is a frontier of us that I know so little about, like having to base all my knowledge of a place from a postcard or a friend's stories. And yet the storyline begs a larger purpose to all this. I don't think it's about us. Yes, we're going to live with and assist mormor, but what's the larger storyline? What does God have in mind with all this?
One of my favorite song writers, Andrew Peterson, recounts part of his family's history in a song. Their faith and adventurous spirit were handed down from generation to generation and yet they didn't know that they were part of a larger picture. They lived faithfully and embraced life's call. Their faith carried them along and flowed down to present generations. Trust me, Andy says it a lot better than me:

They were carried along like leaves on a river of faith, they'd float
All the way home
They followed the tracks that the saints have trod, by the grace of God
They walked in the rain of His mercy, let it soak them down to the bone
And they splashed in its puddles and danced in its streams as they'd go
And, oh, they walked in the rain of His mercy
All the way home

I'm not sure what's in store for us, for the boys, for with whom or what we'll come in contact, but I trust what's in store.

2 comments:

RoRoS said...

Hi guys!
I can understand your thoughts and we had about the same discussions. We can't say yet if we did the right thing, but for the moment it feels quite ok. We are looking forward of having you here.
You're right that there will be a lot of work with mormor's house, but with your experience (and my help) you can manage it.

I'll stay tuned.

Regards Rolf

rednk-n-eurp said...

roros...

Did I mention nearly blowing up our house?(not really) Hopefully I won't get in over my head too much. We'll talk about mormors house more in person. Mon said you had some ideas. It's great to bump into you here on the internet. Looking forward to our own Swedish adventure.

hej

John