Wednesday, September 27, 2006

s.a.h.d.

If you're wondering what s.a.h.d. is, it's an acronym for stay-at-home-dad. That's what I've been for nearly the past two years. But we don't stay at home. We go. It's been some of the richest and most challenging days of my life, but I'll always cherish them. I've gotten to spend so much time with my boys, exploring, playing, learning, hiding and seeing them grow from little kids to fully active boys ready to take on life, or at least the bad guys in the closet. You'll never get rich financially doing it, but that's not why you do it.
Started out as Mon's suggestion that I stay home. I'd gone as far I could with a small company doing marketing and sales and concluded my next job would not involve sitting behind a desk. Didn't get a chance to explore many options before we found out we were pregnant with Sam. As it was, a lot of one of our salaries went to full time daycare for Jake anyway. He had a great daycare experience, but ideally we wanted one of us home. When we found out Mon was pregnant with Sam, that sealed the deal. Mon had the opportunity and benefits with her company and with her blessing, I stayed home.
Have had or tried different things to supplement our income over the two years, but nothing long term. Still, we've been able to make it. I remind myself sometimes that this arrangement was our choice for the kids' sake and though our pockets are empty more often than not, our hearts and memories are full.
Jake's now in pre-school half days and Sam's vocabulary grows everyday. I know I am their Dad and that's my number one role, but I'd also have to say that these guys are my best friends. Not sure how moving to Sweden will transition out of this chapter for Dad or the boys, but we have an idea. More on that later.

No comments: