
Our last night in town we splurged and ate at Pizza Hut for dinner. There's pizza in Sweden but it just isn't the same as American pizza. We've been here nearly two years and this was the first time we crossed Pizza Hut's threshold and we only did it because we were in town. I'm glad we did. I'd almost forgotten about ice in beverages - very American. And perhaps in a Swedish twist our pepperoni pizza lover's pizza didn't have any sauce. Pizzas in Sweden tend not to have much sauce. Also, the kids were able to order Swedish pancakes, not something they could do in Ohio.
We kept glancing over our shoulders at the full restaurant wondering if there were other Americans there. Then Mon figured out that all the people gripping their knife and fork when eating pizza were Swedes, which was most the restaurant. Americans tend to pick pizza up by the slice with their hands and shove it in their face. Swedes almost always hold a knife and fork the entire meal, no matter what they eat.
Either way it was good, as you can tell by our empty pan.! Even Sam ate a slice and a half in addition to his pancakes.
2 comments:
I bet Jakob didn't eat a slice.
For some reason, I also eat pizza with a knife and fork.
I recognize that eating pizza with knife and fork is kind of like eating ribs with knife and fork. It seems odd. I'm not being proper, I just don't like to touch it. Funny that way.
Maybe there are holes in our theory. Maybe you have a little Swedish in you, Mae? The word I think of is 'mantis' when I think of Swedes at the table. There's not a lot of pinching off with one fork - definitely a two utensil operation.
Again, maybe holes in our theory.
Post a Comment