Step 2: Get an official eye exam. I wear glasses or contacts. Because it came up on my application they asked me to pass an eye exam before I could proceed. Cost 175 SEK or $25 USD (find an eye exam in the States for $25) (Check)
Step 3: Get a national Swedish I.D. card in order to sign up for Swedish drivers training and testing. Although I've been driving for nearly 25 years in the U.S., I will have to be tested on theory and driving to get a Swedish license. National I.D. card requirements: A note from Swedish tax authority stating my current permanent residency status and address, a Swedish family witness stating who I am and a current photo. Cost: 300 SEK or $50 USD plus 3-4 week waiting period. (Check)
Step 4: Hazardous road condition training. This was actually kind of fun. All new drivers have to undergo this training. They basically have an ordinary car that looks like it is sitting in a piano dolly. The instructor can raise or lower any of the wheels of the 'dolly' to simulate different driving conditions. In a nutshell, he'd tell us to brake for the moose in the road and we'd have to brake and keep control. It was really an opportunity to spin the car. It was a lot of fun but I was at least twice as old as anybody else in my training session. I can't prove it but I think the instructor also took my age as a go ahead to make it tougher on me. No sweat though, it was not pass or fail. Just training. Cost: 1400 SEK or $230 USD (Check)
Step 5: Theory test. Get 54 out of 64 and you move on to the next square. Things to remember: NO right on red. STOP means stop. Whoever gets to the rondollen first has the right of way, not necessarily who has the momentum. Swedes also teach about the environmental impact of cars; the chemicals they produce, the hazards they create, the amount of fuel they consume and how best to save it. That was all just from the chapter Mon and I read through last night. Seven or eight other chapters in addition. My test is scheduled for the ninth of January. Cost for test 180 SEK or $30 USD. Cost for study materials: circa 600 SEK or $100 USD. Fortunately we were able to borrow the 2003 Swedish version from a co-worker. They come in at least English and Arabic also. (Results pending.)
Step 6: Driving test. I'll drive a car not my own with a tester. He or she will converse with me while I drive through changing speed limits and merging on to the expressway. Cost: 700 SEK or $120 USD. (To be scheduled.)
If everything goes okay they'll issue a license that will be good for 10 years. Luckily they give you a window of two years to get everything done. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, my Ohio DL expires in March so my window is about three months. I need to get this done so as not
Wish me luck.
6 comments:
great photo to go with the story!
I'm wishing you luck!!
The privelege to navigate and keep your role as shoffer...Priceless.
Good luck.
Update to renewing my Ohio DL: I got an email from the registrar and they said I can renew through the mail. They are sending me out a packet. Saweet!
Hi John! Good luck for tomorrow! Roswitha & Rolf
strike one. I failed my theory test yesterday. mon says on average swedes fail it five times before they get it right. in retrospect some of the questions had more to do with knowing the questioners strategy than determining whether you know the material, me thinks. I know they want you to think on your feet while driving but if only driving were a one dimensional picture and one right multiple choice answer.
Post a Comment