Sunday, November 30, 2008

thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday. Up til like Monday or Tuesday we didn't know if we were going to, but we decided to go for it. Turned out great. That is except for the stuffing. No stuffing kits over here. All from scratch. Next time we dry the bread out ahead of time.

There are no pie pans here either, but I think I will now forever bake pies in a form cake pan anyway. Pop the edge off and voila. Also, for the first time we 'brined' our turkey this year; basically soaking it in salt water an hour per pound the day before. Man, was it juicy. We didn't have a rack to fit in the bottom of the pan either so we rested the turkey on a bunch of cookie cutters, something we laughed about later. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Jake and Sam with the wishbone.

Bet Jake wishes he had another crack at that wish bone. Most the time the guy who stands there and just holds while the other guy tugs gets the bigger piece. Not this time. Sammy was really aggressive and ended up with the bigger piece. Go figure.

We were trying to keep the production small this year, that is as small a production as Thanksgiving dinner can be. Then again, it's not suppose to be about the food but the spirit of the day.
Hope you had a good one too.

2 comments:

Number Three of Eight said...

I seem to remember a photo that JWE took of my two youngest brothers wrestling over the wishbone...was it you or Jay who came up with the big end?

Too bad your boys didn't have cool hats for the event.

I'm glad you found pumpkin filling. I didn't think until too late to send you some.

Margaret

rednk-n-eurp said...

This is actually our third pumpkin pie this season already. What says fall more? We can get it at the English store in town for around $10 a can, gulp, but it's worth it. We also had a couple cans left over from care packages last year. We are set for Christmas. Mon picked up two double pie cans, not that we are going to need it.

We have a couple nut allergies over here(not our boys) so we can not share buckeyes or pecan pie with everyone. Still, we will make them. Mormor actually asked if I'd be willing to make buckeyes for her church fair to sell. I took it as a compliment on the buckeyes from last year, plus it's something unique for here. Not too much peanut butter flavoring in things. They all sold.

I was thinking of that wishbone photo JWE took as I took the boys' picture. I did not get the big piece. Nor a cool hat, though I had one on. :)