Friday, November 30, 2007

testing

Next week our sfi class (swedish for immigrants) undergoes a series of tests to see where we are. We will undergo 5 1 hour long tests over three days. Oi. Up to this point we haven't had much testing or quizzes at all. Our teacher says with a smile not to worry, it'll just reveal what we need to work on. Man. This is the end of the semester of kurs C. My reading and writing skills are probably level C. My speaking is probably only level B. We get to choose what level we'll be tested at, within reason. We have a few people in class who may test at level D in some areas. I'd like to think the rest of us are about at the same level. Not sure what level I'm going to choose for speaking. Ugh.

Like it or not when I hear the word test I get a little tense. It really feels humbling to be tested in another language. And I may have even taken some steps backward as far as Swedish language goes. Teacher says it happens with most students. The testing seems to come at a bad time. But when is a good one for testing?

Sweating in the dark in Sweden.

1 comment:

erin richardson said...

I've got exams for school next week, too ... I'll be thinking of you!