Sunday, May 11, 2008

vårskriket

I can't remember what the official opening ceremony of Spring is back home in the Midwest - baseball season, Mother's Day, Easter? In Sweden it's called Vårskrik or 'Spring scream'. On the evening of April 30th, May Day's Eve, people burn branches and yard waste to chase away the witches of winter.
Jake and I rode our bikes up to the local community fire. In recent years they can't put the wood out too early or someone starts the celebration a little early.

Here in Stavsnäs the ceremony was a little quiet and under drizzly skies but symbolic none the less. Not sure if it worked but the weather has been great since. Everything has gone from brown to green in two short weeks.
Astrid Lindgren had a character in a story who let out an annual Spring scream. They also did it at Sammy's school.

2 comments:

Number Three of Eight said...

Welcome back. Spring is definately here. Hummingbirds in Ohio and Indiana. How was Spain?

Happy Mothers day to Monika and Bergitta!

Margaret

Number Three of Eight said...

Oh...I need to include Rosi!
Happy mother's day