Last night was not the night. Maybe tonight is.
It's held in Sweden that when you have three 24 hour days above freezing then Spring has arrived. In the U.S. we rely on rodents looking at their shadows to know when Spring is coming. For the last couple days here in the Stockholm region the thermometer has begrudgingly allowed the mercury to rise above freezind during the day if only a few clicks, only to be be forced back below it at night. The previous day's melt off forming back into ice on the walk, stiffening the snow and casting the road slush into unwalkable ridges. Still we wait. We have to.
We were just seeing the signs of Spring two weeks ago and just when the joy was tantilized we received 10 inches of snow. And we put the winter clothes back on and played in it and tried to make the best of it. But even then our hearts sank a bit because we really wanted it to be Spring.
The first windshield scraping this year was September - John's unofficial start to winter. The year before that is was August 28th. Did I mention it was AUGUST? I'm all about the mother land but 7 months of winter is just too much. Simple math squeezes the other three seasons into the remaining 5 months. I like those other seasons too much to take this lightly. And can't wait for them to get here, or there, where ever we may be.
This afternoon more snow will thaw and create a flow of mirky water down our front walk. It will pool there until it is absorbed later into the water table and the well during the evening hours. The flow stops when the temperature drops again after sunset and refreezes til the temperature rises again.
That is, unless tonight is the night when the freezing stops and Spring can get here to perform her magic.
I like winter. But it's time for a change of seasons.
Monday, March 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
sorry honey, it is supposed to 7 days above zero....
Monika
8( We may not see Spring before we leave then. Those Swedish standards are tough, aren't they?
I'm in no hurry for springtime in Sweden. I bet a high number for you to keep scraping the windshield.
Ah.
In Ohio, it is more about the daylight hours than the temps. Of course, sometimes that gets us in trouble. If you remember, we get those weird unpredictable temp swings that makes stuff go then it gets killed if we have a severe shift the other way.
I try not to get bummed on temps/snow that we get in late winter. I need to acknowledge the positive changes that come from the longer days. For example, the bird songs/nesting territory activity. I see the trees getting ready to pop...you can see it coming if you look. Some of my late winter perennials are busting.
I couldn't take 7 months of winter tho.
Hang in there!!! Believe!
Margaret
I was encouraged that a flood greeted us this morning on the way to the car. In other words, no freeze last night. Day 1?
Dwight, as much as I'm whining I think your estimate might be a little high. At least I hope so.
Post a Comment