I got my Swedish language test results back this week. The good thing is it wasn't the same test that I thought it would be. However, even with an easier test my results were mixed. We each had a one on one with our teacher about our writing and speaking results. Truth is, I wasn't born in Sweden. And I have a long, long way to go before anyone would confuse me with someone who was born in Sweden. On the short quiz parts I was right in the middle of the pack with my class. Where I fell short was writing and speaking. I don't know how everybody else did with those. The teacher who graded me - not my regular teacher - couldn't believe I did as well on the short quizes after hearing me speak and seeing me write. It was humbling. It felt kind of like a kick to my fragile Swedish ego. Perhaps even a little discouraging. My regular teacher said she wasn't worried about me but she wants to see improvement next term. No worries, I get to proceed. Going to be a while before I get to be king.
This begs the question, what of the future? What am I going to do for work? How much classroom Swedish am I going to swallow before jumping into the workforce? My goal was to learn the language first and then find a job when I felt more comfortable. I'm starting to think that if I wait that long, it could be a while. It goes without saying that English fluency is to my advantage as far as yer average migrant to Sweden goes. Being American helps though it's not a shoe in. I also know that there's more than one way to learn the language than by sitting in a classroom, though I do want to have the book smarts as well as the praktik. I think the big challenge is finding a psuedo native English speaking job within car reach of the kids and their schools, something full to part time.
I'm not giving up on learning Swedish. How can I? I live here and with them. But I don't think I can keep life on hold for it either. I resolve in the new year to passively look for work and still go to class. We'll see where it goes.
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Feedback is good. Don't be discouraged. It's such a great opportunity to have formal instruction right now.
Olivia seems to be a natural at horseback riding. But sometimes she is too mild mannered and the horse takes advantage knowing she won't correct him. Usually the instructor is yelling at me (posture, breathing, sit back, heels down, etc.) A couple weeks it was Olivia's turn. We are learning something new and it's important for Olivia take charge. I was afraid she would take the instuctor's yelling the wrong way. In the car after the lesson, I asked how she was with it. Olivia very evenly said: "I take it as constructive feedback that will help me get better."
Wow. Pretty level headed for 11.
Hang in there little brother.
Margaret
I don't take the critique personally, I don't think. Pretty convoluted up there. A mass of information without much structure.
Post a Comment