According to Swedish folklore today is the day witches fly to Blåkulla (blue hills) on their brooms. In Sweden kids dress up as witches, hand out Easter cards and in return get some candy. So it is a Swedish Halloween of sorts. Witches here are not really scary looking (see picture). I am not quite sure what boys are supposed to dress up as.Pink Thursday is Skärtorsdag in Swedish. Skär can mean the color pink but the meaning in this sense has to do with cleansing. The day before Good Friday Jesus washed his disciples feet before the last supper (Maundy Thursday). So as with most holidays, there is a mix of christian and pagan traditions/folklore. No Easter bunny over here though.
3 comments:
As I recall, you don't have bunnies. You have hares the size of miniature horses.
No easter bunny? *shock and alarm* The easter bunny never visited me as a kid. Always felt like I was missing out. Now? Not so much, though it IS nice that my anniversary was a couple days ago, and Keith gave me chocolate, so I won't be too insanely jealous of my 10-and-under friends waltzing around with GIANT BAGS OF CANDY.
OK. Maybe I spoke too soon.
Not to worry Erin. Kids still get candy, believe me. We have giant eggs (size of a small football)that are filled with candy or you can buy them empty to fill with whatever candy you want to put in there. Sam and Jake each got an egg tonight from uncle Rolf and aunt Rosi (thanks!!).
Monika
Post a Comment