Saturday, March 22, 2008

universal truth

Sometimes when you are in a foreign environment you hang your hat on things you know, even though Sweden is not as foreign now as it seemed in May of 2007. Universal truths that you know to be true: the whining of children in any language, the cost of bread, the sun setting in the West, the hum of a car engine...

When we took our car in to the shop to have the door window fixed I was met with another universal truth: duct tape. I didn't know whether to take comfort or to be appalled that I just rolled out of the Swedish dealer's repair shop with duct tape holding up my window. The new window motor arrives on Tuesday after the holiday and is covered under warranty. Still, Swedes - for all their engineering prowess and pride in design - find practicality in good old duct tape. And temporarily it's on our car.

Welcome home.

4 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

You finally got some snow!!

Number Three of Eight said...

I was surprised to learn duct tape comes in colors. The last time I saw my Saturn...still on the road, Ben had duct taped its nose.

Tracy said...

I just don't think you have a household until you have atleast one thing fixed with duct tape!!!

erin richardson said...

One time, my sister's then-boyfriend, now ex-husband was going on a roadtrip for his birthday and lots of people gave him presents before he left. Cool stuff, clothes, CDs, etc. I gave him a roll of duct tape. When he came back, he said, "THAT WAS THE BEST PRESENT EVER. I USED THAT STUFF FOR EVERYTHING! When my wallet broke, when the bumper started to fall off the car, when my bag got a hole in it..."

Duct tape and Jesus. Where would we be without 'em?