Saturday, April 19, 2008

root of all evil

Working in the garden today digging out a thirty year old bed of Lupine. I may post some pictures later. They have the longest roots I've seen on a plant that wasn't a tree. The longest dandelion back home is dwarfed in comparison. I have easily pulled up roots as tall as Sammy (1 yard/1 meter +). Luckily they are in sand and not hardened Cincinnati clay. After a while you start to take on the mindset that they are the enemy and you must rid the universe of these villains. They look a bit like Alien 'facehuggers' with long tentacles ready to spread their brood however they can.

Okay, so maybe it's time to take a break. I can see why these long rooted plans can survive Scandinavian winters.

3 comments:

erin richardson said...

Hahaha. CRY HAVOC! AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS OF WAR!!

rednk-n-eurp said...

When in Rome...

Number Three of Eight said...

I'm sorry, when did Lupine become evil? Do you know how many Ohio gardeners would love to have those stands of beautiful flowers?

Go native bro. embrace what comes natural!