Saturday, April 26, 2008

weekly (or so) update

Seems like life in Sweden breaks out of its winter cacoon in mid-March and starts sprinting. Probably time for some updates.

-Family: Looking forward to a trip to Calpe, Spain next week. One week on the Mediterranean coast with Morfar and Tina. This will be our first trip down to see them since being here. Weather is suppose to be in the upper 70's there, similar to the Midwest back home. Also hasn't rained in two months in Spain. I'm sure we'll post more after our trip. Not sure if we are going to have computer access or not while there.

-John started a Swedish language praktik this week. What that means is they place Swedish for Immigrant students in professional type settings where we learn and use Swedish on a job. Usually the placement is 2-3 days a week for a number of weeks in addition to regular SFI classes. Although the praktik option has been there for me I hesitated not feeling comfortable enough in Swedish or knowing what direction the career/education path is headed. I have an opportunity to go back to college but the journey of a thousand miles starts with one giant step called Swedish.

And yet in many ways feeling like I was hitting a wall just going to SFI class. John's Swedish teacher suggested for him to only go to praktik everyday for the next 6-8 weeks instead of SFI. Pretty radical but the intent is to clarify a lot of the language knowledge in his head but swirls when he opens his mouth. Long story short, they placed me at a grade school in a class of fifth graders. Ironically, one of the reasons the school readily agreed is because I am a native English speaker. My Swedish teacher cringed. The goal is to speak Swedish whenever I can but in a pinch English is always an option, even with the 5th graders. I am amazed at how bright these kids are and even their level of English fluency at 12 years old. First day of class after being introduced one kid turns to me and says,"Yo Homey!" I have never observed in any American classes but I have been really impressed how the Swedish school is set up. I'm sure there will be more posts about school and praktik. On Monday I get an opportunity to lead two classes for a half our each. Fortunately, it can be in English...

-Yesterday I kicked around a soccer ball with one of my SFI classmates while our kids played at a local greenspace. Husein came from Baghdad and lives here in Stavsnäs with his family. It was a gorgeous spring day. I had to take a mental snapshot of the scene. Here is a guy who had to pick up his family and move to a country where they have no other reason to be in except to be safe from war. Here we are from different worlds. Different religious cultures. He could have a lot of reasons to resent me and yet here we are kicking a soccer ball enjoying the spring sunshine. He tickles and plays with my sons like they are his own. Husein by the way is a much better soccer player than me. He is also the same guy who called on Christmas Eve apologetically because his two kids needed a ride to the hospital at the request of the doctor because they had had a high fever for nearly a week. Apologetically? I considered it an honor. At one point yesterday I was watching the boys and five Iraki kids while laundry loads were being switched over. Maybe there is hope yet.

-The landscape in Jake's mouth is set to change drastically in the near future. He's got three very loose teeth that he'll gladly wiggle for you upon request. I'm sure that landscape will be evolving throughout vacation stops this year. Get the latest update when it rolls through your town.

-After a pretty good burn on his hand two weeks ago, Sammy all but has his bandages off. The doctor said we could have taken it all off on Thursday but Sammy wasn't willing. Today he is down to a tube 'sock' bandage and hopefully tomorrow we move to adhesive Batman bandaids.

-Progress is slowly being made on the garden project. We've started a lot of seeds that now need to be transfered out of their bedding trays. I think we are still under frost threat plus the garden is not ready. If we get the pen up this year I'll be happy.

-Mon's got a new office to herself. She's at the same job but is now assisting another manager. She's got a window that looks out over Stockholm Harbor and is happy. We are very proud of her but she has some long hours. She leaves at 6:30 in the morning and comes home at 6:30 in the evening.

I think that is about all for now. Hope your Spring is going great.

4 comments:

Number Three of Eight said...

Thanks for the update. Family life is busy whereever you are. Glad all is going well. I like the idea of your praktik...keep us posted on how you do.
Margaret

Mommakitten said...

Great to hear an update! I am glad things are going so well! I am sure that the bandages will come off soon! We can't wait until June 23!

Tracy said...

Always glad to read what you all are up to there in Sweden!!! Keep the updates coming!! Counting the days until your visit!!!

Anonymous said...

Du behov till studera din Svensk mer och ge ut mindre tid på det computern!