Thursday, September 04, 2008

engelska 101

Jake started 'mödersmålspråk' (somebody will correct my Swedish if it's wrong) this week. In a nutshell, 'mother tounge.' Because one of Jake's parents' native language is not Swedish, Sweden gives him the opportunity to get a little extra instruction in it, which in his case is English. I thought that was pretty culturally sensitive of Sweden.

In Jake's class most the kids were born in Sweden but have a parent originally from Britain or a former British colony. There are parents from Scotland, Ireland, Canada, and Jamaica. Some Swedish kids even spent the last several years in Uganda which I guess was a colony at one time too. Those English really got around. Who did they think they were? I wonder if the colonies still have to pay taxes to the Queen or at least a licensing agreement to have the union jack on their flag. Hmm. Jake's teacher is also from Scotland.

All this British colonial talk has me thinking of my own grandparents' journey to the US from Scotland. It would be neat to explore since we're closer than we'll ever be and only 2 generations removed. Who knows, maybe we have living breathing cousins walking around the Scottish highlands as I write. I know the family was part of a clan that got their start by raiding the English countryside during the days of William Wallace. Arrr!!!! Not always pretty stuff.

There is one other boy in Jake's class from the US. His family just moved here 2 months ago and he comes across a bit as an outsider. Though he is pretty fluent in Swedish he does not come across as Swedish. Swedes are typically tight lipped and humble, maybe even a little shy or self abasing. If somebody is not it can be a double edged sword, working in their favor at times and against them most others. The kid will get a chance to work it out I'm sure in the coming years.

During the first part of class the instructor took questions from parents and then spent the second part guaging what direction to go this semester with the kids in the group. Jake asked me to stay since it was the first session and he is one of the younger guys at 6 though no one is over 10 or 11. Prior to class I was hoping some of the parents might be interested in meeting and momentarily congregating with fellow English speakers. I was anticipating, or at least hoping there would be a collective, ahhh...we finally get to speak English! Didn't happen. As soon as class was over parents and kids scattered off to busy life, just like home. On a cool side note one of the guys from the church where we go is a teacher at the school where the class is held.

Overall I think Jake liked the class and participated. We will see how things develope inside and outside class.

No comments: