Monday was the fall equinox. I remember hearing the term in weather reports and science class as a kid and that it was the first day of Spring or Autumn. I didn't really know what it meant. You can read more about it if you click on 'equinox' above. In a nutshell, two days of the year have an equal amount of daylight and night. The rest of the days of the year, depending where you live and the time of year, there is a growing amount of light or a growing amount of darkness.If you happen to live in the rafters of the Northern hemisphere like we do, you realize yesterday was the last couple clicks of the roller coaster before the big down hill plunge toward winter. Now winter is a couple months off but in just a few weeks day light savings is going to dramatically change the day time landscape, in a big way. I remember there being some difference during the winter months in the Midwest but nothing as dramatic as here. And culturally it seems to put the turtles even further into their shells in Sweden.
According to even the hardiest of Swedes, last winter was harder than usual because of the lack of snow. You couldn't get out and play. Just dark and rainy and dark. Did I mention dark? Before we came to Sweden we were part of an American-Swedish group in Cincinnati. When we mentioned to folks that we were considering moving to Sweden the homesick Swedish spouse was always enthusiastic and said, "You'll LOVE IT!" The supportive American spouse on the other hand quietly conceded, "The Swedish winter is very hard."
Man. I start a post about the equinox and it goes right to winter. Guess you can say I'm not looking forward to it and that the writing is on the wall. Which is strange because I was always a winter person in Ohio. I used to have a manager at an old job who had the hardest time in winter, Ohio winter. I never understood the effect it had on her. Take me to the rafters and have me peer out into the darkness - I understand it now.
Let's hope there is a lot of snow this winter. And we'll enjoy the remainder of the fall. Trust me.
5 comments:
A little science lesson! Thanks!
i'm praying lots of snow for you guys.
Winter is tough on me. I cannot imagine having it dark all day. My dad has the same thing in Alaska. it's hard on him....
Looks like the boys are getting big fast! Haven't heard from you in forever. Tell Monika and everyone hello. Email me. Same Media Library address as before!
Sandy
I hope you get a good winter with snow and the opportunity to get out and play. I feel you will miss part of the experience otherwise.
Margaret
Post a Comment