Wednesday, September 10, 2008

engelska 102

As I dropped Jake off at home language class yesterday a woman we had followed into the classroom did an about face toward us, extended her hand and said,"Christine." I was taken back. Er, uh,"John, Jakes pappa." I was a little surprised at her very intentional, almost militant friendliness. The teacher then told her we were from the U.S. "U.S.? Me too!" she exclaimed in English. "Hey, Hanna" she called to her nearby daughter. "These guys are from the U.S. too!" "Oh, hello!" Hanna looked up surprised but genuinely friendly.


That's how the hour started that Jake was in class. Christine asked if we - me and Sam - wanted to sit and talk while our kids were in class. We both took the time enjoying talking to a fellow countryman about a range of topics on life in Sweden, the U.S. election, jobs, etc. Turns out she has been in Stockholm for nearly 25 years. She warned me not to stay here that long, smiling. Her daughter Hanna is 10. Christine wants nothing more than to return to the U.S. with each passing year. Her native husband has no interest, even to visit.

We also discovered that we have a mutual aquaintance in Margaret Petaine. Margaret runs an English language book store in Stockholm and was one of the sponsors of the writing workshop I attended last fall. Margaret occassionally sends people my way who are looking for a writing circle. She is also best friends with Christine, the mother I shared the hour with talking.

Small world.

Another thought in my head about Jake's English class - though the class is helping, I hope his English in general does not lag too far behind his classmates back home. He tells me occassionally he is losing his English. I tell him he's not losing it but gaining Swedish.

Easy for me to say. In English of course.

1 comment:

Number Three of Eight said...

Interesting. When you visited during the summer I didn't have a sense of how the boys were doing at all with language. Sam was shy and speechless and Jake was as I remember...just bigger.

It's great for them to get language at this age. I will equip them to learn everything. Being multilingual works their brains in a great way.

I think it's a misfortune to be limited to one language in my little world. It's wonderful to get that exposure at such a formative age!!
Margaret