Thursday, December 04, 2008

time between off and on

This might encourage or amuse you, depending on your latitude. And hopefully you have a good one. I have had to bump up the timer on our walk lights a couple times because there has been a growing amount of darkness on either end of that light. It's now pretty dark at 3 in the afternoon. It might be said that dusk is even around 1p. And in the morning it's dark enough for walk lights until a little after 8, maybe longer. Needless to say we are eagerly awaiting that Winter Solstice around December 21st. We're not pagans or anything, but those men of old must have marked time anticipating the light. I wonder if that is why they set Christmas on the calendar when they did. Just when the world was at its darkest it gets a little bounce. I think the dark winter is one of the reasons why the Lucia celebration is so big in Sweden. Every school kid partakes.

This was a little lantern I picked up today while out. It reminded me of something my brother Dwight made for everybody a couple Christmases ago, though in the crush to get kids and presents out the door we incidentally left it behind at his house where he was hosting the extended family Christmas gathering. If I'm not mistaken Dwight came up with another one for us but I think it is in a storage tub in his basement. Oh well. This one is small enough to pack in a suitcase and could find its way back if it has to.

3 comments:

Number Three of Eight said...

So you have snow but no daylight. When are you going to learn to ski? Seriously, do you have a chance for winter sports?

Margaret

rednk-n-eurp said...

Forgot to mention on the timer red = on and black = off.

Our snow is gone now so no skiing for the near future. :(

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

We have about an inch on the ground this morning. Missing you guys today!