Today is a milestone. It has the shortest hours of daylight of any day in the northern hemisphere. As the Earth is tilted on its axis during its orbit around the sun, the sun shines directly over the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere so the north receives the least amount of daylight it will receive in a day.On the flip side, this is the longest day of the year in the southern hemisphere. If Sweden was down there we'd be having midsommar today. But we're not. And it's cold and very, very dark.
Needless to say we in the north really appreciate reaching this day. Because every day after it is a little bit longer than the day before. Until we hit midsommar for real. And so the cycle continues.
Sunrise officially was 8:47 today. Sunset was 2:47.
Here's to officially turning the corner and taking a little, but huge step toward midsommar.
2 comments:
ps. I forgot to mention the photo was an uncredited winter photo I pulled off the internet.
Yea!!!
Believe me, I've been thinking of you.
Margaret
Post a Comment