Sunday, December 14, 2008

walk in the dark

Went out to catch some pictures of the moon and ended up taking some other pictures in the dark. What else do you expect this time of year in Sweden? These are our neighbor's lights. They are up year round.

It was suppose to be the largest full moon of the year the other night. Perhaps because of the upcoming winter solstice. It was cloudy here though. This waning moon was the best we could do.

Our neighbor's gate posts had a nice friendly glow.


Our other neighbor's house had a Thomas Kincaid look - warm glowing cabin welcoming the weary traveler in the darkness - but all the camera could pick up was the windows. YOu also have to imagine the slightest pine wood smoke from someone's chimney. Funny how the naked senses are so much more in tune than the recreated ones.

I think the moon photographed better the further back from the water I got. This is standing in mormors yard. Maybe the moon was just getting higher up in the sky.

This is a very traditional Swedish Christmas star lamp. You see them in a lot of windows. We need to pick up some for the keeping.

3 comments:

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

The Star Lamp is beautiful! Wonderful pics!

Number Three of Eight said...

yes, you should try to bring a star lamp back with you. Very cool and you won't find it here. It would be a good connection for the boys too.

It wasn't the largest moon but I also heard that this was the closest full moon to the earth in many years. I got a clear view of it briefly and it was very bright.

Somehow the luminaria in Pridge slipped past me this year. I'm assuming we still do it but I don't remember seeing a notice. I get candles out most years but even if I don't get my own candles out, it's nice to walk or drive around. Folks have finally put up house lights on my street which is nice.

I heard recently on the radio that the winter path of the moon is like the summer path of the sun and vice versa. If that's true it's amazing. What do you think? Now that the sun doesn't visit you much, when does the moon rise and set?

Margaret

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

I miss the Elliotts today....